Yep...I'm a lumberjack

Hello all!

So, as you guys all know, I am working in Colorado for the Rocky Mountain Youth Conservation Corps. I will be doing trail work- working with a chainsaw and basically kicking ass and taking names. It will certainly be an experience living out of a backpack for 2 and a half months. A bit different than my usual summer of beach bumming and rockin the fish market. This is for those who care a bit about me and what I will be doing. Join me won't you?? As I journey into the land of 3 pairs of underwear a week and no house music for miles. Will I survive?

Saturday, June 4, 2011

First week complete!

First week done! LOVING it so far :). my crew is awesomeeee. For the past week it's been me and 7 other guys, but today we got the final addition to the team. A burst of estrogen named Lida! She seems chill, so should be a good match. SO last week... Our crew was assigned to work in White River National Forest, which is between Minturn and Leadville, CO.. approximately 10,000 ft above sea level. I thought the altititude would mess with my breathing and such, but NOPE! Had a headache the first couple of days, but adjusted quite niceley after that. So we set up camp at kind of a barren campground, but we had it all to ourselves besides this one forest service dude. He was basically never there though. Lived in an RV with his cat and his wife that we only knew existed after 3 days of being there. We had memorial day off because the forest service doesn't work holidays, so we went into Leadville and did a bit of shopping and site seeing. Tuesday our work began! We built a fence at the campground we were at living at along with planting a bunch of trees. So it was hard work at the beginning of the week...10 hour days, but towards the end we finished a lot of our stuff early, so we got to chillax. I want to go back in 10 years to see the progress the trees have made!

We've been eating real well too. Lasagna, stir-fry, burritos, chili, BBQ Chicken (anj, if you say "we've created a monster" to yourself i'm roll my eyes at you through the computer) and lots and lots of PB&J. Today we relocated to Silverthorne, CO, which is near Breckenridge Ski Area. The campsite is kind of right off the highway, which kind of sucks, but my spot is right on a lake and pretty far back into the woods, so i"m just going to pretend that the highway is a raging river! We got to take showers today for the first time in a week. FELT STHOOOO GOOODDDD. We always have weekends off to shop for food and do recreational things, so that's nice. We'll probably do a day hike tomorrow. Then next week we start our chainsaw training. Loving it so far!! Send me things!!! Miss you all. And i'll probably post something every weekend so stay tuned :) xo

Shipping / Office Address:

Send food or fun things like puzzle books (I LOVE CROSSWORDS)

Joanna Falcone
c/o RMYC
1705 13th Street
Steamboat Springs, CO 80487

Mailing Address: (Write me fun things about what you are up to!!)
Joanna Falcone
c/o RMYC
PO Box 775504
Steamboat Springs, CO 80477

1 comment:

  1. good stuff jeezy, sounds like absolute hell to me but glad you're enjoying it!!

    ReplyDelete