Yep...I'm a lumberjack

Hello all!

So, as you guys all know, I am working in Colorado for the Rocky Mountain Youth Conservation Corps. I will be doing trail work- working with a chainsaw and basically kicking ass and taking names. It will certainly be an experience living out of a backpack for 2 and a half months. A bit different than my usual summer of beach bumming and rockin the fish market. This is for those who care a bit about me and what I will be doing. Join me won't you?? As I journey into the land of 3 pairs of underwear a week and no house music for miles. Will I survive?

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Week 2: Let the chainsaws begin

SOOOOO this week we moved to a new location. It's called Officer's Gulch and it is in Silverthorne, CO. Sunday was a chillaxing day. Then Monday we began our S-212 wildfire chainsaw training. We are not going to be working around wild fires luckily, but the class was at the federal level so some pretty intense stuff.

The first day we learned about safety and maintenance and I was able to take a part a chainsaw and put it back together. THis is important in terms of maintenance and stuff. After pretty much every use you have to clean out the sawdust and sharpen the chain to ensure optimal performance. Day 2 was more of theoretical cutting and then days 3, 4, & 5 were field training. It was some tricky stuff, not gonna lie! But now I am a certified class A sawyer... with a few restrictions. I am still having trouble properly falling (cutting down) a tree. There is a lot of beetle kill up here, so part of our conservation work is cutting down the dead trees in order to mitigate the possibilty for forest fires. Last night we got to go to a firefighter BBQ on a lake with. There was pulled pork! Pretty soupt on that!

We just got back from a hike. That altitude is quite the bitch. 11,000 ft... the air got thinner and thinner. Tomorrow we are heading back to steamboat for our first project!

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully I Am doing this comment right buttt I am so happy for you but i miss ya sissy! I am proud that you are getting shit done like a true G. Not to mention pulled pork is an extra bonus..mmm. But keep on truckin and I will see you soon!
    Love your kid sister;) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete